Saturday, October 13, 2018

NICHOLSON, DESTROYER OF CITIES


If you’re going to walk all the way around a city, it helps (in once sense) if that city is small.  On the other hand, all the great cities are big, and all the great walks are long. So perhaps some miniaturization is what’s required.


This is a model of Chicago I saw last month, in the Chicago Architecture Center, in a Mies van de Rohe building on upper Wacker Drive.


And this a model of London which is in the Building Center, in Store Street, “a bud for the built environment” since 1932.




The Chicago one even changes color:




I love miniaturization; model buildings, model railways, miniature golf courses.  
It makes me feel a bit like Gulliver and a bit like Godzilla.  I know I could destroy large areas of the tiny city long before any security could get there.  But I don’t do any destroying.  I just walk around.

Here's a picture of Mies van Der Rohe walking with Le Corbusier.  Oh the laughs there must have been.  



And here's another bloke who liked a bit of miniaturization:



No comments:

Post a Comment