Thursday, September 26, 2019

WALKING WITH SHOES

“A man’s gotta live
A man’s gotta eat
A man’s gotta have shoes to walk out on the street.”


How true those lyrics are.  And it applies to women too. But you know, when I’m on my walking travels it’s strange just how many abandoned women’s shoes I see.  Mostly it’s just one, though not always


It leads to all kinds of speculation about the circumstances in which the shoe (or occasionally shoes) was abandoned: accidentally, deliberately, in high jinks, in disgust.  I just think about the Cinderalla–like possibilities, and take a photograph.


I’m often surprised how elegant some of the shoes look but I suppose that’s the whole thing – the fancier the shoes, the harder they are to walk in, the more uncomfortable they are and therefore more likely to be cast aside.



 When I lived in Los Angeles I happened to walk past the house that I knew belonged to Vince Vaughn on the day he was moving out.  There were a pair of his sneakers sitting out by the garbage can, and I did wonder whether I should take them and try to sell them on eBay.  But I didn’t – I thought that would have been sick.  If they’d belonged to an actress it might have been a different story.


No comments:

Post a Comment