Thursday, January 9, 2020

LOAFING WITH BRYSON



I have nothing against Bill Bryson but I admit I couldn’t make it all the way through his recent book The Body: A Guide for Occupants.  There was just too much about death and decay,  which reminded me of the death and decay going on in my own body; and frankly I needed no reminding.

But I did read the chapter titled ‘On the level: Bipedalism and exercise’ because it had some stuff in it about walking. Most of it was pretty well known to pedalists such as you and me but I my eye was caught by the information that ‘Today the average American walks only about a third of a mile a day – and that’s walking of all types, including around the house and workplace …  According to the Economist, some American companies have begun offering reward to employees who log a million miles a year on  an activity tracker suck as a Fitbit.  That seems a pretty ambitious number but actually works out to just 2,740 steps a day or a little over a mile,’

Those must very short steps - 1.92 feet per step by my calculations: that is not the step of anybody engaged in actually walking.


But then Bryson was in the Times last weekend saying ‘I’m very active.  I walk between 16,000 and 20,000 steps a day.’  I have no reason to doubt him, and nobody believes that walking in itself makes you thin, but I would say he certainly doesn’t LOOK like a man who walks 20,000 steps a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment