Wednesday, October 9, 2024

WALKING AND DIFFERENCE

 This is a photograph of Jaques Derrida walking:


Derrida has been on my mind, well, more than usual, because I just read a review in the LRB, 10 October 2024, by Jonathan Rée, discussing the recent translations of Derrida’s  Hospitality, Volumes 1 and 2.

 

Rée writes “Derrida had a marvellous literary range, and a sharp eye for details that might elude the rest of us.  (Reading him reminds me of taking a walk with a friend who will spot a ghost orchid, a heath fritillary and an alpine swift while I am just enjoying a companionable stroll.”

 

This is a ghost orchid:



This is a heath fritillary: 

 


This is an alpine swift:



Speaking as someone who couldn’t identify any of those things, I do wonder whether it might not be rather annoying to walk with somebody who was constantly pointing out things that I didn’t recognize.  


Though I suppose being with Derrida might create other irritations, such as his obvious vulnerability outside off stump.




No comments:

Post a Comment