Thursday, October 27, 2022

39 AND COUNTING

   


This is from John Buchan’s 1914 novel The Thirty-Nine Steps.  The narrator is Richard Hannay.


‘The night was fine and clear as I walked back to the flat I had hired near Portland Place. The crowd surged past me on the pavements, busy and chattering, and I envied the people for having something to do. These shop-girls and clerks and dandies and policemen had some interest in life that kept them going. I gave half-a-crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer. At Oxford Circus I looked up into the spring sky and I made a vow. I would give the Old Country another day to fit me into something; if nothing happened, I would take the next boat for the Cape.’

 

The ‘real’ job I held down longest was managing the paperback department of a bookshop near Oxford Circus.  Most days I walked up Portland Place on my way to work, and I walked down Portland Place on my way home.  Sometimes I walked up and down it at lunchtime.  I was often bored and unhappy in my job, but I never thought of taking a boat to the Cape. That, I think, was because of lack of funds rather than lack of imagination.

                                                                     *



Most people these days know The Thirty-Nine Steps as a film rather than a book – and the best known, I think is the Alfred Hitchcock version of 1935. Mr. Memory is the invention of Hitchcock and/or his scriptwriter Charles Bennett, credited on imdb with ‘adaptation.’

This is from the Kenneth More version:



 

         The Thirty-Nine Steps is a long way from being a walking book, though there’s a good deal of trudging over the Scottish moors while being pursued, sometimes by an aircraft (not entirely unlike Hitchcock’s North by Northwest, 24 years later), and most of the action takes place a long way from London.  But there’s also this London-centric passage from an early chapter.


 

‘I felt curiously at a loose end … I went to the Savoy and ordered very carefully a very good luncheon, and then smoked the best cigar the house could provide. But I was still feeling nervous. When I saw anybody look at me in the lounge, I grew shy, and wondered if they were thinking about the murder.

‘After that I took a taxi and drove miles away up into North London. I walked back through fields and lines of villas and terraces and then slums and mean streets, and it took me pretty nearly two hours. All the while my restlessness was growing worse.’ 

 

         I think we can safely assume that Richard Hannay was a brisk walker, so that a two hour walk would cover, say, 8 miles.  So where did he go in the taxi? Where did he start walking? Hendon?  Upper Edmonton? Bounds Green?  I wish he’d told us more precisely, then we could walk in his fictional literary footsteps.

 

         Incidentally, when Buchan attended Kirkcaldy High School, he had to walk three miles there and three miles home.  That’ll build character in a boy. Today there is the John Buchan Way, a 13 mile walk between Broughton and Peebles.  That’s quite a lot of steps.


            Here is John Buchan, not walking, though looking ready to walk.




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment